It is believed Warner Bros. Discovery had at least 2 other suitors, Netflix has agreed to buy Warner Bros. Discovery’s TV and film studios and streaming division for $72 billion US, a deal that would hand control of one of Hollywood’s most prized and oldest assets to the streaming pioneer that has upended the media industry.
The agreement announced Friday follows a weeks-long bidding war where Netflix seized the lead with a nearly $28-a-share offer that eclipsed Paramount Skydance’s nearly $24 bid for the whole of Warner Bros. Discovery, including the cable TV assets slated for a spinoff.
Buying the owner of marquee franchises including Game of Thrones, DC Comics and the Harry Potter franchise will further tilt the power balance in Hollywood in favour of the streaming giant that built its dominance without major acquisitions or a large content library, helping its efforts to ward off competition.But the deal will likely face strong antitrust scrutiny in Europe and the U.S. as it would give the world’s biggest streaming service ownership of a rival that is home to HBO Max and boasts nearly 130 million streaming subscribers.Cinema United, a global exhibition trade association, said in a statement on Friday the deal poses an “unprecedented threat” to movie theatres worldwide.
“In light of the current regulatory environment this will raise eyebrows and concerns. The combined dominant streaming player will be heavily scrutinized,” said PP Foresight analyst Paolo Pescatore.
The Mediation and Security Council (MSC) of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) has suspended Guinea-Bissau from all “decision-making bodies” of the sub-regional organisation until the return of constitutional order.
The MSC made the announcement after a virtual meeting of ECOWAS leaders on Thursday following the coup in Guinea-Bissau.
Sot blog got a report that soldiers took control of Guinea-Bissau on Wednesday. They announced the removal of President Umaro Embalo and halted the announcement of presidential and parliamentary election results.
In a communique at the end of a virtual meeting, the MSC condemned the coup and demanded the release of Mr Embalo.
From Left: Vice President Oil and Gas, Dangote Industries Limited, Devakumar Edwin; President/CE, Dangote Industries Limited, Aliko Dangote; President, Honeywell UOP, Rajeswar Gattupalli, and Vice President & General Manager, Honeywell UOP, Dr. Ranjit Kulkarni, during the signing of Dangote Refinery capacity upgrade to 1.4mbpd Agreement in India, on 25 November 2025.
The United Kingdom (UK) government has rejected the federal government’s request to transfer Ike Ekweremadu, the former deputy senate president, to serve the remainder of his prison term in Nigeria.
Ekweremadu is currently serving a prison sentence in the UK for organ trafficking.He was convicted in March 2023 and sentenced to nine years and eight months for conspiring to exploit a young man’s kidney.Earlier in November, President Bola Tinubu sent a high-level delegation to London to discuss Ekweremadu’s case and explore the possibility of him serving the remainder of his prison term in Nigeria.
The Nigerian Table Tennis Federation have confirmed that the nation’s youth team scheduled to compete at the ITTF World Youth Championships in Romania holding Nov 23-30 have been denied visas.
Led by reigning West African champion, Kuti Matthew, the Nigerian squad secured its place by winning the U15 and U19 boys’ team categories at the 2025 ITTF-Africa Youth Championships in Lagos. Yet, despite their triumph, the team has now been replaced by Egypt and Tunisia in those events following this visa denial
UN Complex Bombing: Court Admits Evidence in DSS Case Against Al-Barnawi, Other Terror Suspects
A Federal High Court sitting in Abuja on Friday admitted in evidence three video clips supplied by the DSS) to puncture claims of duress by five suspected masterminds of the 2011 bombing of the United Nations complex in Abuja facing trial.
The presiding judge, Justice Emeka Nwite, fixed December 5 for continuation of the trial-within-trial of five defendants, including Khalid Al‑Barnawi
The trial -within – trial, will involve the playback of video clips in the courtroom to determine the veracity of claims by the defendants that they made their extra-judicial statements before the DSS under duress.
The DSS accuse the five terror suspects led Al-Barnawi, of being the masterminds of the August 26, 2011, bombing of the United Nations Complex in Abuja. At least 20 people were killed and more than 70 others injured in the attack.
Captured in 2016, Al-Barnawi is facing trial alongside four other terror suspects – Mohammed Bashir Saleh, Umar Mohammed Bello aka Datti, Mohammed Salisu, and Yakubu Nuhu aka Bello Maishayi.
The trial suffered several delays due to legal and procedural challenges thrown up by the defendants, including the absence of legal representation on several occasions the suspects were brought to court. However, all that changed after Mr. Oluwatosin Ajayi’s appointment as Director General, with him insisting on speedy trial for suspects he inherited as well as for those arrested under his watch.
The DSS recently requested the court to grant accelerated hearing in the case, a request Justice Nwite granted, same way judges trying DSS cases against terror suspects Mahmud Muhammad Usman aka Mahmuda, Muhammed Usman aka Abu Bara’a, as well as those standing trial in the Yelwata and Benue massacres, have obliged the DSS DG’s request for speedy trial.
Following the conclusion of playing back the video clip of the first defendant, Justice Nwite fixed December 5 for the commencement of playing back the video clips of the on other defendants.
Earlier on Friday, Justice Nwite had admitted the extra-judicial statements made by three other persons charged by the DSS for alleged terrorism.
The trioka are being tried for allegedly spying on the US, and Israel s interests for certain individuals in Iran.
Haruna Ali Abbas, Ibrahim Hussaini Musa and Adam Sulaiman were accused of spying on the US, and Israel ‘s interests for individuals in Iran.
The case, which had been ongoing since 2014 and re-assigned multiple times, reached a point in August 2025 during a trial-within-trial to determine if the defendants’ alleged extra-judicial statements were made voluntarily or under duress.
While the defendants claimed that they were coerced, harassed and intimidated to make their statement, the prosecution held that the statements were made voluntarily.
The prosecution claimed that the accused persons read through the statements, through the cautionary words and signed, hence, should be admitted in evidence.
Justice Nwite who ordered a trial within trial allowed both parties to call witnesses who gave evidence.
The prosecution who called three witnesses said they conducted their operations within the best standard procedure, as they paid attention to the welfare of suspects in their custody in terms of food and medication while also allowing them access to their families.
The defendants on the other hand recounted their alleged torture in the DSS facility, alleging that they were beaten and given inhuman treatment.
After hearing arguments from both the prosecution and defense counsel, Justice Nwite ruled that the defendants statements be admitted in evidence.
The Judge held that the prosecution through the witnesses proved to the court that they were not forced to make their statements.
Justice Nwite after admitting the statements as exhibits adjourned the matter to January 22, 2026 for substantive hearing.
Yesterday, I met with Nigeria’s National Security Advisor and his team to discuss the horrific violence against Christians in their country.
Under @POTUS leadership, DOW is working aggressively with Nigeria to end the persecution of Christians by jihadist terrorists. Secretary of war, Pete Hegseth .
Babajide Sanwo-olu today, commissioned new 233-unit housing scheme in the Abraham Adesanya area of Eti-Osa This project, delivered with our partners at Urban Shelter Limited, adds another set of modern homes to Lagos and moves us closer to closing the housing gap.
Our goal has always been to use the strength of both government and private investment to create affordable homes for families who need them most. We have stayed consistent. Just last month, we handed over 420 apartments in Ajara, Badagry, and in the last six years we have added about 11,000 homes across Lagos.
To make these homes more accessible, we introduced flexible approvals, offered a 40 percent rebate on permits, and created tax incentives that keep prices within reach.
At the same time, I must be clear. Partners who fail to meet agreed timelines or quality standards are being reviewed. We cannot allow delays to hold back our housing goals.
To the new homeowners, I ask you to take pride in this community and protect the infrastructure around you.
We remain committed to giving more Lagosians a decent place to call home, one completed project at a time.